Sunday, August 12, 2007

Homeschooling- In August?

There are three full weeks of August left...... only three! Where has the summer gone? Tonight we are discussing what subjects in homeschooling we will start tomorrow. I have learned, over the years, that my family does not do well starting homeschooling all at once. We begin with one subject one week, add another subject the next week, add a third subject the third week, and then by the fourth week we are going full time. This system allows for several "mini-meltdowns" instead of one major meltdown. You homeschoolers know the kind of melt down moments I mean:

~ We have no pencils with erasers on them.

~ I thought I ordered Explode the Code 7 and 8 but I ordered 5 and 6 which she completed last year.

~ I didn't know that the printer has been out of ink for the past month.

~ A friend calls to say she'll be by to pick up the Algebra 1 book I borrowed from her last
year. Didn't I buy that book from her at the used book sale?- guess not. I literally have to pry it out of the hands of my student while I am placing a bid for it on ebay.
~ I need to get to the grocery store, plan dinner, catch up on the weekend laundry and try to remember how I used to do everything before summer started.


So, I take a deep breath, whisper a prayer for strength and patience, and make a trip to Walmart. Can I possibly make my way through all of the little melt-down moments and look forward to seeing how God is going to make all things possible through Him?


1 comment:

  1. We also began school today (Monday) with plenty of time to relax and let what may go wrong. With two preschoolers, something always comes up that needs attention. It was actually a very good first day!

    ReplyDelete