Sunday, May 27, 2007

A Memorial Day Must Have

We are spending Memorial Day at a picnic hosted by a sister church in New York. This is a wonderful yearly reunion for our family. Last year I did not bring this dessert, Ritz Delight, and was told not to come back next year unless I brought it . I assume they were kidding but I do not want to take any chances. Aren't they ugly! For years I have been trying to make them look better, but looks don't keep them from being a big favorite. I think it is the sweet and salty taste combination.
Ritz Delight
1 cup chopped dates
1 can sweetened milk
1 cup chopped walnuts
Cook dates and milk until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add nuts. Cool slightly. Spread over individual Ritz crackers. (Do not use a cheaper version of this cracker. Believe me, it will not hold up.) Place on baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
Let cool completely then ice.
Icing:
3 oz. cream cheese- room temperature
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups confectionery sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Beat until smooth. Spread over Ritz crackers. Not necessary to refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment