Sunday, November 30, 2008

Frugal Recipes

Last month I sent out an email to various friends who have a reputation of seeking to provide frugally, nutritious meals for their families. I asked them to send me a favorite recipe, then I cut and pasted the collection into a document and sent a copy out to everyone who participated. The response was great! Some where frugal and some were just FAST. And most ladies sent me more than one of their favorites. Here is a delicious soup recipe. I added more broth and our family of 6 ate it for two nights with some left for lunches. No turkey required! I used stewed beef.

I will post other recipes from the collection as our family tries them. Each of the girls will be choosing one recipe to make over the next 2 weeks.

Beef Barley Soup LauraLee B.

1 1/2 lbs ground beef (or stew beef cubed)
1 med. onion - chopped
1 tbsp oil
6 cups beef broth
1 cup pearl barley
4 med. carrots - sliced
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. dried parsley
salt to taste

Prepare onions, carrots and stew beef if used. In a large pot brown meat with the onion in oil. Add broth, barley, carrots and spices, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 min. or until meat is cooked and the carrots are at the desired tenderness. Add parsley just before serving. Serves 10. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment