Sunday, June 29, 2008

Making Your Bedroom a Sanctuary

Since my early Flylady days I have heard this phrase repeated in my head, over and over, "Make your bedroom a sanctuary." I have always tried to keep our bedroom tidy and uncluttered, but a sanctuary it was not. Then last summer a movement began. First the bookshelves left the room. Then went the computer. Then came the day I ripped up the carpet (on a whim) and found some great wood floors. There was no turning back now. Removing the wallpaper off the walls was very tedious. Then it was decided that two walls would come down, be insulated and sheet rocked. The popcorn ceiling was scraped (what a mess!) The walls were painted neutral because I was ready for a neutral bedroom which is a change from the rest of my house. Finally in May the floors were refinished. So here is what I have thus far.........
The color scheme began with this rug. I kept my lace curtains because I LOVE lace curtains blowing in the breeze.
I brought home a least 10 bedspreads and comforter sets. This one worked with the rug so it was the keeper. Plus the price was right.

This is what I put above the bed. My friend had a home party called Uppercase Living. They sell sayings that are a type of decal to put on walls, furniture, cabinets, etc..... Check out their website to get the idea. The price was not what you would call fugal and we had difficulty working with it. But the finished project is lovely. Mine, however, is not straight and is 1/2 inch off. UGH!!! My Hero will just have to move the wall. This wall definitely needs some more creativity.


I love coming into my bedroom. It has definitely become a sanctuary. Flylady would not be totally happy with it (there is still a TV in the room) but Hubby and I are. The pictures did not show that there are no doors on the closet yet. We are going to need help with that project, although my Hero is getting better and better with each project he attempts!


Sunday afternoons, when we arrive home from our day at church, hubby and I retreat to our sanctuary to read a chapter in the book, Tying the Knot Tighter by Martha Peace and John Crotts. We highly recommend husbands and wives spending time together going through this book. It is time well spent. We are grateful that our pastor handed this book out to the couples in our church. Our sanctuary came together just in time.


Sweet dreams!


2 comments:

  1. I ran across your post while searching for lace curtains. I love how you have simplified your bedroom! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog through my google reader....I LOVE your bedroom! It's beautiful and looks like a peaceful summer day. Ours is simple and definitely sanctuary-like, but definitely not uncluttered. Yet. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete